HPLC Column Management Software
Constraints in Manual HPLC Column Booking Management
In pharmaceutical, life sciences, contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO), chemical, contract research organization (CRO), biotech labs, HPLC (High-Performance Liquid Chromatography) columns are commonly used. Columns are a high-cost consumable component in the quality control laboratory. Regardless of cost, it is an essential element for QC sample analysis. Quality Control analysts do not know which solvents are in the buffers in the columns they’re inspecting, or which samples have passed through the system because of the existing manual booking and monitoring of column usages. This information is critical to avoid contamination.
- The vast majority of pharmaceutical companies track their Column Usage in handwritten logbooks. In manual column management, getting a thorough summary report on the column’s use and cumulative injections is a big problem.
- There is no record of column mapping, and the same column is occasionally mapped twice with two separate products. This causes lab analysts to get confused
- Because columns are expensive, tracking their utilization is critical for cost optimization in analytical labs. There are occasions when a column gets removed without ever being used since there is no good track of the columns, and analysts may eventually utilize a column that is too old. With the manual column usage logbooks, it is quite difficult to keep track of the columns correctly.
- Even more costly is the amount of time lost during sample runs due to random column failures and needless column re-equilibration.
The above challenges can be well explained by this Scenario.
“Going to the Column Drawer and reaching for a column I had no clue about after returning from a long weekend to start analyzing”
- What solvents are in the column now?
- How many buffers are there?
- What samples were run?
- Is the sample contaminated?
Before running the test, the analyst should empty the column and then re-equilibrate it to solve this issue.
This consumes a significant amount of the Analyst’s valuable time while managing HPLC columns.
Keeping track of HPLC columns and monitoring them for solvent identification is a time-consuming task. Organizations in the healthcare and life sciences industries find it difficult.
The packaging material and dimensions of their columns must be known by researchers and quality control analysts so that they may prevent cross-contamination and avoid any carryover by prepping the columns before an analytical technique is carried out and avoid any contamination.
Using the AmpleLogic HPLC Column Management Software, an organization’s laboratory can keep track and manage the use of all HPLC and GC columns and their associated operations
There are three initial screens in AmpleLogic Analytical HPLC Column Management Software:
- Product Details
- Column Master
- Column Usage